"The world will listen more to a witness than to a teacher, and only to a teacher, who is a witness" Giovanni Battista Montini
My work experience........
I have worked in one of the largest community based Psychiatric Hospitals in New Jersey. There is in my opinion, no better testing grounds for a young therapist then a large psychiatric hospital. What ever was missed in school, you will learn "on the job” that is a guarantee! I was blessed to be assigned to work with a Psychiatrist who was trained in Europe before WWII and with several younger Psychiatrists’ who specialized in difficult to treat cases. I have also worked as Clinical Director of a large community based outpatient clinic, where we treated individuals, couples, and families for the Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. My work spans over 24 years of direct patient care, healthcare administration, and clinical supervision of both interns and seasoned therapists. I have functioned as a field instructor for Rutgers University School of Social Work and Seaton Hall Catholic University School of Counseling Psychology. I have lectured on theraputic skills intergration at UL's Department of Psychology. I have always loved teaching, and would have to be honest and say that it would be my second calling after counseling.
High School: Lafayette High School 1978
College: B.A. - Religion/Philosophy - St. Joseph Seminary, St. Benedict LA - 1983
Graduate School: Theology - St. Johns University, Collegeville MN - 1984-86
Graduate School: Theology - The Hebrew University and The Jerusalem Center for Biblical Studies, Jerusalem, Israel - 1984
Master's Degree in Social Work - Tulane University - New Orleans, LA - 1991
Clinical Internship - University of New Orleans Mental Health Center - New Orleans LA
Inpatient Social Worker - Bergen Pines County Hospital - Department of Psychiatry, Bergen County - New Jersey
Appointed Director of Adult Inpatient Services - Bergen Regional Medical Center - Department of Psychiatry, Bergen County - New Jersey
Appointed Senior Clinical Program Analyst - Bergen Regional Medical Center - Department of Psychiatry - Bergen County - New Jersey
EAP Counselor - Newark Beth Israel Medical Center - Newark New Jersey
Private Practice - Bunker Hill Consultation Center - Princeton, New Jersey
Director of Outpatient Counseling Services - Mount Carmel Guild Behavioral Healthcare System - Catholic Charities/Archdiocese of Newark
Field Instructor/Educator: Rutgers University - Department of Clinical Social Work (MSW Students) - Newark, New Jersey and The Seton Hall Catholic University - Department of Counseling Psychology (LPC Students) - Orange, New Jersey
Quality Improvement Specialist/Behavioral Health Consultant - EQ Health Solutions - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Department of Mental Health and Hospitals - State of New Jersey - Peer Auditor: Inpatient Division - Psychiatric Hospital Inspection/Licensure Teams
PRN (as needed) Psychiatric Social Worker and Therapist - Vermilion Behavioral Healthcare Systems of Acadiana - Lafayette, LA.
"Blink" by Malcome Gladwall
"A Lamp in the Darkness" by Jack Kornfield
- Travel (42 countries and counting)
- History and Philosophy Studies.
- Exploring other cultures.
- Meditation Studies.
- Art and Art History
Recent Study Areas and advanced training:
- Certified Grief Recovery Specialist - Grief Recovery Institute Training Program - Vancouver, BC
- The Art and Science of Self Compassion (2015)
- Advances in Couples Counseling (2015)
- Ethics and Legal Issues in Counseling (2015)
- Treating Transgender Clients: Understanding Gender Identity (2015)
- Depression: Methods to boost self-worth (2015)
- Ethical issues in Marriage and Family Therapy (2015)
- Cultural Competence in Mental Health (2014)
- Cultural Competence in Military Services (2014)
- Treatment process/application for Anxiety Disorders (2013)
- Introduction to DSM-5: Changes and Revisions (2013)
- Meditation and Stress Reduction Methodology (2013)
- Death and Grief: Cross Cultural Meta-Analysis (2013)
- Psychotherapy and Counseling Processes for the Unemployed (2013)
- Neuro-Biological Studies - Brain Function - Changing our Behavior (2012)
- Advances in Couples Counseling: Methods and interventions (2012)
- Treatment Modalities for Sexual Addiction (2011)
- Graduate Level Studies in Developmental Psychology - University of Louisiana at Lafayette (2010)
- Role of Spirituality in Mental Health (2009)
- Palliative Care and End of Life issues (2009)